Malaysia requires more people to voice out and stand in the front line. No more hiding behind their comfort zone and wait for changes to come. We ought to do it NOW! Peace to all mankind.

Monday, July 13, 2009

Poor "Ink-Leash"!!!

Poor English a result of the system

I THINK the basic problem lies with the teachers. There is no sincere effort among them to master the language themselves in order to be able to teach with confidence.

In the 1970’s when teachers who were trained to teach in the English language had to revert to Bahasa Malaysia. I was one of them, and we took great efforts to do so. Other colleagues who could not master the language took the right step - they resigned.

As I drove to school, I would listen to “Learn a Word a Day” over the radio every day and ensured I used that word in my conversations that day. This helped me to add new words to my vocabulary.

I also requested to teach in a “weak class” (classes were streamed in those days) so that I could gain confidence in the language. I was never shy to ask my Malay colleagues for help. I improved so much that my headmistress allowed me to teach Geography and History in Bahasa Malaysia in Form 4.

Before I retired in the 1990s, I was asked to observe and report on English Language trainee teachers. Even then, I could see the deterioration in the standard from year to year.

I can only say one thing - the system is the cause for this deterioration.

PUAN CHELLA,
Kuala Lumpur.

The above article taken from Thestar Online.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Puan Chella, Thank you for your effort to change and improve your self when our government makes changes. As I can see, some teacher could not cope with it and we lost wonderful teacher. That is why we have insufficient teacher. :(

Government, are you doing the right thing? Not only you killed your wonderful teacher, you will soon kill your future generation!!

As for the recent changes to revert to the old method of teaching S & M in BM, below is my opinions which I posted in a group:

I would prefer if the Government could allow us to choose the school we want for our future generation. Bring back English medium school, maintain National and Vernacular school (or as before the implementation of teaching S & M in English.). This would silent those who would like to see BM/BC/BT being maintain as the main language in S & M.

We may have international school, but still we should be given more option. Not to say when we have so many different types of school, we cannot achieve unity among us.

I suggest we must scrap the Pendidikan Moral subject. This subject is not a subject. It is a life lesson that must be taught at home. Many students complained they are not learning anything at all. Waste of time.

May be they should think of having year end camp for ALL form 4 & 5 students after their examination. (One month camp.) Get them to do community work, understanding each other cultures and beliefs. This would bring them closer among them. Scrap National service. This is better than moral eds. Practicality.

For A Better Malaysia


Post Note:
S & M = Science and Maths.
BM=Bahasa Malaysia
BC=Bahasa Cina
BT=Bahasa Tamil

Post Note 2: I would like to tell all my readers that from today onward, I will be focusing more on education rather than politics. Education has been my passion and I can't give it a miss. Thanks!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya.Moral shouldn't be a subject. So what if you can score in Moral? It just show how good your memory is to "hafal nilai" in the textbook. It doesn't mean you'll do it.

During my SPM year. Whole class/school score Moral badly. It doean't mean that we hv no moral. It only because of the school have no Moral teacher to teach the classes.While in other school, all students get A easily for moral. But that simply because of they have good moral teacher who gave them a lot of notes to study.

Jarod said...

haha... I agree lo... I never score A for my moral in SPM. I think its B...haha! BUt i got moral k :)

yup, its better be off ! useless subject that bring no moral to us.

Fadhil said...

Jarod,

Good of you to focus on education. Politics in Malaysia now is a bit haywire. Even PR politicians are criticising among themselves.

Jarod said...

Oldstock,

Fed up with politics lah... Just got to wait till its over before I come in again. But I will still my eyes on it :)

Education has been my driving force of living after seeing the changes it can make in a person lives. So, I am now focusing on how can we change via education.