Malaysia requires more people to voice out and stand in the front line. No more hiding behind their comfort zone and wait for changes to come. We ought to do it NOW! Peace to all mankind.

Thursday, July 02, 2009

The untold stories of Anti ISA


Grandpa John is sitting on a rocking chair. He is looking out at the playground in front of his house. His neighbour son is beside him playing with puppies. A young lovely girl aged around 15 plus pass by his house and wave to him. That was Diana from Kampung Jaafar. He said to me. I am surprised of how he knew the girl. I asked him for more information. Oh boy, don't you know your grandpa is like a database who knows everything? I have not been with my grandpa for a year. I came back for good and try to know more about what that had happen in Malaysia. My parents sent me to New Zealand in the beginning year of 2005 to further my studies. Fast forward to the current day, I know I have missed out a lot due to hectic schedule and my ignorant attitude.



You know what? Malaysia Today is a totally different Malaysia than before. How you define that? I asked for his straight forwardness. Do you know who change the political scene? No. It was bloggers in the virtual world. How they managed to change? Easy. They blogged their heart out. They also loved their country to the highest level that they are willing to be arrested for speaking and standing firm on the truth that they believed in. Wow~! They are just like a steel men and women. They are not made of steel, but their heart is made of love. They are a group of lovely PEOPLE. A group? You mean there were a lot of peoples being arrested for standing firm for what they believed? Yes! Remember Diana who waved to me just now? I nodded my head. Her mom was detained during Anti-ISA Vigil in PJ. I have to take care of her as her mom was taken away for a night to record her statement. Diana father was oversea at that time.



Grandpa closed his eyes and when he re-opens, I saw his red eyes preparing him for some tears. Yet, he held on. That night, Diana asked me why her mom was detained by the police. I said that her mom was using her freedom of speech on what she believed in and she was not a criminal. But she does not believe. Diana mentioned that bad people always detained by the police. I said no. She is not bad. She is a loving mother and you must love your mother for what she had done for Malaysia. I can see a drop of tears dripping from his eyes. He dried it with his left hand. What touched me the most is when she met with her mom and ask how she is. Diana's mom replied: “I am fine, but Malaysia is not."



There was a silent moment. Grandpa John stood up and showed me his scars. A long scar of former stitches can be seen on his right leg. It happened during the vigil. I am considered fortunate for not being arrested. Previously, the majority of the citizens do not look highly upon jail bird or detainee. They always rate them as bad or unwanted citizen. Now? We look at their inner heart. We see why they get arrested. Look at YAB Lim Guan Eng who was trying to bring justice for a girl. End up in jail. Look at those who were detained in the Anti-ISA vigil. Look at those innocent people who were jailed up in Kamunting under ISA. What is this ISA that make people protest against it? I asked in anticipation. It stands for Internal Security Act. It was for those who threaten the country safety and being jail up without trial. However, I see no threat from them. Oh well, that is only my opinion. Not of those authority. They do not seem to have the same channel as I am.


Come inside. Let me show you some photos and videos. As he sit on the sofa and switch on his laptop, I asked him whether any of his friends got arrested. All those arrested were my friends. I used to be very quiet. Never go beyond my comfort zones. Previously, I do not know them. Now, they are my friends. They sacrifice themselves for a better Malaysia. Most of them were first timer. Clean record and the words `willing to die for Malaysia` hang in their head. He showed me several pictures of young and old Malaysians holding candles gathering around field and open spaces. They are the history maker! As I browse through the pictures, I saw many Malaysian of different ethic come together and support the cause. This is a picture of Anak Bangsa Malaysia! He exclaimed. Most of them have chosen the road not taken by many.



Those who fought for this cause will surely felt the pain in their heart if any of us get caught. We are like a big family sharing the same goal. We celebrate together when there were victorious moments; we shared the pain when one of us is down. Neither 5 nor 23, even one casualty we will be sad! It also gives us an urge to do more! Grandpa looked at a picture of a little girl and smile. Look, this is our youngest supporter of our cause. Her name arr... I forgot. Sorry, getting old and my memory fade pretty fast. She was wearing `I am with RPK` black colour mini T-SHIRT and looked at the person who took her photo. Grandpa said it had sent waves of warmth to those who see this picture. "It's a picture of Peace," he said.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


This piece is written some time ago. I read some news and personal experience and decided to put it down into a story for our young generation. It may relates to some of you who had encounter the fight for a better Malaysia. I dedicate it to those who had been arrested and charge in court. I also dedicate it to those family members whom they have their love ones detained in Kamunting.


No comments: